How to Apply
The Design/Build Semester offers Priority, Standard, and Rolling admissions. We recommend that you submit your application as early as possible. Our program is open to students of all backgrounds including current undergraduate and graduate students, recent graduates from any college or university, and individuals who have no past or current collegiate affiliation. For students enrolling for credits, credits are transferred at the discretion of the student’s home institution. No previous architecture or construction experience is necessary; the only prerequisite is self-motivation.
We ask that you provide sincere and candid answers explaining your interest in the Semester Program and what qualities you feel you can contribute to the program. It is essential that you have read the website information carefully to develop a clear expectation of what this experience entails.
The Design/Build Semester accepts students in several different ways depending on their affiliation.
1) Students from any college or university, or those seeking credit but not currently enrolled in a college or university, can participate in the Design/Build Semester by enrolling in 15 credits through UMass Amherst's Continuing and Professional Education. Students will become continuing education students at UMass, will pay instructional fees to UMass and will pay room and board and other fees to Yestermorrow.
2) Domestic exchange students—National Student Exchange, UMass Student Exchange, or New England Land Grant Exchange—can enroll directly through UMass Amherst assuming approval of the exchange application. Domestic exchange students are considered to be UMass Amherst students for the semester. Students apply for financial aid through their home institution or through UMass, depending on the payment plan on which they are accepted. Click here for a full list of participating institutions. See the NSE coordinator on your campus to find out more information about how to apply, application deadlines, and financial aid transfer. Students will pay room and board and other fees to Yestermorrow.
3) UMass Amherst students can, with departmental approval, enroll directly in 15 credits of courses offered through the Department of Architecture. Students will pay room, board, and other fees to the Yestermorrow Design/Build School.
4) Students who are not currently enrolled in a degree program and who do not wish to earn credits can enroll directly through Yestermorrow.
To see the full application before beginning the online form, please click here.
The Design/Build Semester has Priority and Standard Application deadlines and rolling, space-available admissions thereafter.
- Complete applications received on or before Monday, February 17, 2020 will be considered ‘Priority'. These applicants will be notified of the Admissions status by March 12, 2020.
- Complete applications received on or before Monday, March 16, 2020 will be considered ‘Standard'. These applicants will be notified of the Admissions status by April 13, 2020.
- Applications received after March 16th will be evaluated for admission on a rolling basis as space is available. We will respond to these applications within one month of receipt.
If your circumstance requires a quicker admissions decision, please contact us as soon as possible to discuss options.
You may be contacted by Yestermorrow to discuss your application or to request additional information. Students who require financial aid will be accepted pending verification of available funds from their home institution or other source. Some applicants may be placed on an admissions waitlist pending available space or further evaluation of their application materials. We will notify any applicants of their waitlist status and plan for further action within four weeks of the receipt of their applications.
All accepted applicants will have their space in the program reserved for two weeks from their acceptance date. After this time the ability to enroll is subject to availability of space in the course. Accepted applicants may secure their position in the course by returning a completed Admissions Packet (provided with acceptance letter) and furnishing a $1000 non-refundable enrollment deposit to Yestermorrow Design/Build School.
Students are required to pay both UMass fees and Yestermorrow fees. UMass fees are paid directly to UMass Bursar's Office per its schedules. Yestermorrow fees are paid directly to Yestermorrow by July 1, 2020.
2020 UMass anticipated fees:
Matriculated UMass students pay their regular UMass tuition and fees.
Non-UMass Undergraduate tuition: $6,030 ($402 per credit) and a $47 CPE registration fee.
Non-UMass Graduate tuition: $7,110 ($474 per credit) and a $47 CPE registration fee.
TOTAL UMASS FEES: $6,077 (Non-UMass Undergraduate students), $7,157 (Non-UMass Graduate students)
2020 Yestermorrow Fees:
Program Fees: $9,850 (includes $1,000 enrollment deposit)
Board (3 meals/day, 5 days/week): $2,800
TOTAL YESTERMORROW FEES: $15,150
2020 PROGRAM FEES: $21,227
The Design/Build Semester at Yestermorrow is offered through UMass-Amherst’s NAAB-accredited Department of Architecture + Design and the Department of Continuing Education. All credits earned are transferable only at the discretion of the receiving school. UMass uses the semester credit system. Students are enrolled in 15 credits for the semester. Upon completion of the program the students can request an official transcript from UMass. In order to transfer UMass credits to your home institution, approval from a faculty member, academic advisor, and/or the registrar is required. We are also able to help facilitate course credits from your home institution. Please contact us to explore options for the allocation of non-UMass credit.
If you cancel your enrollment at least one month prior to the program start date, your deposit will be forfeited, and any other payments will be refunded. If you cancel your enrollment within one month of the start of the program, your deposit will be forfeited, and the remainder of the program fee will be held as a credit to be used on a future program. If you cancel your enrollment within 48 hours of the beginning of the program, all fees will be forfeited. If you cancel, you must also officially drop your UMass classes to avoid being billed by UMass.
Students enrolled in the Design/Build Semester have come from the following colleges and universities:
Amherst College, Bates College, Bennington College, Brown University, Champlain College, Chapman University, Clemson University, College of the Atlantic, Colby College, Colorado College, Connecticut College, Copenhagen University, Dartmouth College, Evergreen State College, Hampshire College, Luther College, Miami University of Ohio, Middlebury College, Montana State University, Mount Holyoke College, Naropa University, New York University, Norwich University, Oberlin College, Pacific University, Pomona College, Rhode Island School of Design, St. Lawrence University, Sarah Lawrence College, Skidmore College, Smith College, Sterling College, The New School, Tufts University, UMass Amherst, University of Colorado-Boulder, University of Houston, University of New Hampshire, University of Michigan, University of Oregon, University of Vermont, University of Washington, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Warren Wilson College, and Yale