Vectorworks is an easy-to-learn, intuitive 2D/3D computer aided drafting program that runs on both Macs and PCs. During this intro workshop, we’ll start with a group project to get comfortable with the Vectorworks drawing tools. Students will then have the opportunity to apply their new drafting/modeling skills to individual design projects. Pre-registration is required so that each student can receive an individual free one-year licensed copy of the software, to be preloaded on your own laptop prior to class.
Course start time: Day 1, 9am
Course end time: Day 2, 5pm
- Competency Level: Beginner
- AIA credits: 14
To allow students to follow the instruction and experiment with the techniques demonstrated, they are required to bring their own laptop computers to class with Vectorworks installed (The program runs on either a Mac or PC). A free copy valid for one year is available to each registered student. Download instructions will be provided upon registration. Students should also bring a 3-button mouse.
The goal of this class is for the students to be familiar enough with Vectorworks to be able to complete a set of architectural drawings. We'll focus on the 2D elements of the program but will explore the 3D elements as well.
Day 1 Using a project provided by the instructor, we'll explore the fundamentals of Vectorworks through a series of exercises including:
- Launching the program and activating the standard workspace and adjusting preferences,
- understanding the toolbars and menus
- 2D drawing tools
- Manipulating and modifying objects
- Annotation tools
- Drawing presentation and printer setup
- students will work independently on a project of their choice with one-on-one instructor assistance.
- In the afternoon, once students are comfortable with the 2D elements, we'll explore Vectorworks Architect using Vectorworks 3D tools.