This course is an excellent opportunity for high school students ages 14 to 18 to gain an understanding of the design/build process. Communicating ideas from concept through construction, students will explore a design problem, learning teamwork and building skills as they develop and build a group project. Emphasis will be on combining creativity and function. The course will teach the safe operation of both hand and power tools.
Students must be over 18 to stay on campus alone. Parents are welcome to stay on campus with a student in the class.
Course start time: Sunday, 9am
Course end time: Thursday, 5pm
- Competency Level: Beginner to Intermediate
- To develop basic design skills in a group environment
- Learn basic fundamental building skills rooted in safety and creativity
- To finish with a small group project to be left at the Yestermorrow campus
Carpentry for Children
The Way Things Work
Classes run in the shop from 9:00AM until about 5:00PM with a lunch break about noon. The time will be spent in a combination of demonstrations, discussions, and actual hands-on work.
Materials to Bring
- Safety glasses
- Ear protection
- Work gloves
- Work clothes, not baggy or loose
- Simple carpentry tools, eg tool belt, hammer, tape, speed square, pencil (*Yestermorrow can provide tools if you don't have your own)
Safety goggles and ear protection are available for sale at the Yestermorrow office.