Visit our Job Board at: www.ymjobboard.blogspot.com for other job postings of interest to Yestermorrowians, or our Work and Learn Program page for information about apprentice, intern and teaching assistant openings.
Current Job Openings
Development and Communications Director
Yestermorrow Design/Build School inspires people to create a better, more sustainable world by providing hands-on education that integrates design and craft as a creative, interactive process. Yestermorrow was founded on a commitment to make architectural design and building knowledge and methods easily accessible to all individuals. We remain dedicated to achieving a more environmentally and socially sustainable society through innovative education, focused on teaching the design process with the goal of expanding people's understanding of good design. Our curriculum integrates the design process with the skills of building and the craft of fine detail.
The School is committed to design and building knowledge communicated through personal experience and hands-on education guided by master practitioners. The School embraces the principles of sustainability, craftsmanship, experiential learning, and place-based education emphasizing the development of individual design skills, self-confidence, personal creativity, and social responsibility. We believe Yestermorrow's educational philosophy is important in a world where knowledge has become more abstract, indifferent to environmental and social conditions, and craftsmanship is often not valued or understood.
The Development and Communications Director is responsible for creating, executing and continuously improving a comprehensive strategy that grows recognition of the School and contributions to Yestermorrow. The Director will engage in a range of non-traditional fundraising and outreach activities such as alumni relations, special events and social media campaigns in addition to leading an annual fund campaign, meeting with major donors, and coordinating all of the school’s publications.
Yestermorrow seeks an individual in this role with a huge enthusiasm for and understanding of Yestermorrow’s mission, with judgment and capabilities that will enable him/her to be an effective contributor to the organization. The Director will have leadership skills that will enable him/her to represent the organization articulately and effectively to key external stakeholders, to collaborating organizations in the nonprofit sector, and to the community at large. The successful candidate will be a results-driven, high-energy professional of unquestionable integrity, dedicated to the mission of the organization.
- Provide leadership and support for the organization on all matters related to fundraising encompassing alumni relations, friend-raising, enhanced community visibility, and support from individuals, foundations, and corporate giving programs.
- Develop and refine Yestermorrow’s core messages to ensure organizational consistency.
- Manage public relations, communicate with press, write and distribute press releases and design a database system to keep track of media.
- Craft and execute proactive media outreach across all platforms, including traditional, new media and social media.
- Identify potential funding sources, create the opportunity for the "ask," follow through the writing and oversight of grant or other application/solicitation processes.
- Ensure that excellent relationships are maintained with donors and that donor gifts are carefully stewarded for the purposes intended by the donors.
- Manage the budget for the development function and an ongoing calendar of events, publications and grant deadlines.
- Oversee development and maintenance of a detailed and useful donor database.
- Anticipate changing needs with vision and imagination. Initiate long-range strategic and operational outreach and fundraising planning.
- Manage staff, volunteers, and internal and external resources in support of fundraising and outreach functions, including management of all cultivation and fundraising events, events designed to enhance organization visibility, new fundraising initiatives and services, and efforts to enhance recognition for organization donors.
- Develop tactical and strategic plans, establish goals and objectives, measure progress, define criteria for success; retrospectively and prospectively evaluate progress, inform ED and Board of this progress, and demonstrate pragmatism and flexibility to recommend changes in direction based on outcomes against plan.
- Demonstrate how the organization can be highly creative, mobile, adaptable, and competitive in maximizing its outreach and fundraising potential.
The ideal candidate:
- Is passionate about the mission of the organization.
- Is a highly strategic thinker, with a strong self-starter attitude.
- Is a strong and creative writer.
- Has familiarity with and knowledge of local and national funding sources for education, architectural and environmental concerns.
- Has fundraising experience – donor prospecting and cultivation, annual gifts, major gifts, special events, capital campaigns, and grant writing.
- Demonstrates facility with information technology, and the capacity to adapt new technologies to the enhancement of fundraising, organizational visibility and credibility, and the expansion and improvement of services.
- Has highly developed oral and written communication skills, and the vision, charisma, and dynamism necessary to project and promote the mission of the organization, and to augment friendship networks and funding sources throughout the community.
- Has the ability to represent the organization articulately, relate to prospective donors, and to build a universe of friends of the organization in the business and philanthropic communities.
- Exceptional listening skills, compassion, centeredness and maturity, a collaborative style, durability and adaptability to the nonprofit environment, high energy, and a healthy sense of humor.
Experience: Candidates for this position should have five or more years of relevant professional experience.
Reporting Relationship: The Development and Communications Director reports to the Executive Director.
Hours: Salaried full-time position, with occasional evenings, weekends and travel required. Potential for flexible schedule and some telecommuting.
Compensation: Commensurate with experience.
Location: Waitsfield, VT
How to Apply: Please send your cover letter and résumé in digital form to email@example.com. Rolling application review starts February 1st.
More Information: Please visit our web site at: www.yestermorrow.orgApply Now